Over the five days, all participants will work directly with Stephen Wangh on the inner dynamics of teaching, an in depth exploration of the problems that all teachers worry about… but almost never discuss.
Pedagogy discussion topics include:
- Working with difficult students, silent students and students who push your buttons.
- Feedback: How it can foster either dependence or independence in students
- Grading: Its meaning and meaninglessness
- Power relationships, transference, and countertransference in the classroom.
- The pivotal role of listening
- Race, gender, and identity issues
- How we can get beyond the habits we learned we when were students.
- Teacher support and burn-out prevention.
Teaching Physical Acting:
- Full-body listening
- Image, emotion and gesture
- How to read an actor’s body
- Living with questions
- Effort and non-effort
Practice teaching sessions:
A safe space in which to witness one’s own teaching methods and receive feedback from your classmates and from Stephen Wangh.
The 2017 workshop is taking place at Earthdance, an artist-run center located in the Berkshire hills of Western Massachusetts. It features: 125 acres of land, on-site accommodations, delicious meals, open and beautiful studio spaces, a wood-fired sauna, swimming pond and hiking trails.
Food and Accommodations
All meals are included in the workshop tuition and prepared by Earthdance’s Chef and Kitchen Staff. The primarily vegetarian menu will be made whenever possible from local and organic sources, including produce from their own very large garden. Food allergies and specialty diets can be accommodated.
Dormitory-style shared group accommodations are included in the tuition. For students who would like a more private sleeping space there are optional camping grounds.
Participants will be asked to assist with meal clean-up in rotation (2-3 times per week) and a one-hour space clean each week.
$750 for the five-days of training, food and lodging.
$2,600 when combined with the twelve-day Performer Training.
Special early bird discount: 10% discount for all applications fully paid before May 1st.
Payment plans can be arranged.